Monday, June 27, 2011

A Village in Action

Sometimes it really does take a village to raise a child.

Due to the high risk nature of my current pregnancy (twins) and indicators of possible complications, I have had to be on bedrest for the last week and next couple of weeks.

I am amazed and humbled at all the help my family has received from our ward, neighbors and family.

We have had people come to our house daily to play with our kids.
We have had meals brought to our house and offers of many more meals.
A dear neighbor comes twice a week to pick up our laundry.

I am so grateful that so many people are willing to take time out of their busy lives to spend 4 hours chasing my two kids around. I know that because of their generousity, my health and our baby boys' health is improving.

I don't know how many of you have ever been in a situation where you had to rely on help from others or not, but I am sure that your creative minds can come up with some great answers for my questions.

1. How can I help people who come over to better navigate my house? (Is help needed or do I let them just hunt around for things if I am not available to ask aka napping?)

2. What are some activities to suggest for the kids, so they are not always just playing in the water, going on walks, or playing with cars? My kids love these activities, but sometimes you just need a little variety.

3. What is an appropriate way to say thank you? Are thank you cards enough? This question may seem kind of weird, but it is one I have so I am asking.

I would love to hear any suggestions you have. I have learned just how true the concept of a village really is as I watch it unfold in my life daily.

Thanks for your help!

~Lisa~


1 comment:

Britta said...

I had a time last year that I felt like I couldn't do anything unless I had help. It was hard but it created such amazing friendships.

1) I'd say let them hunt around- for the most part. Certain rooms just need that anyway (the kitchen!). Most rooms are simple to navigate (bedrooms,bathrooms). And it sounded like most people are there for one specific reason- which means it should be easy enough to point them to the kitchen, laundry room, etc...

2)If someone is going to the library in your circle of friends, ask they bring over several new books each time they go. (If your kids are rough on books, make sure you promise you'll pay for damages that happen). Have these books be books your kids read only when their visitors are over. Have someone put together a bunch of generic craft supplies so people who come over can create their own craft ideas. Also, don't forget simple things like bubbles and sidewalk chalk...

3)A thank you note is always appreciated, although impractical if you give them one every single time they come over. Plan on sending one nice card just before the baby's birth (maybe start labling them now to get a head start). I loved giving baked goodies away (cookies, banana bread ect) but that isn't realistic in your situation. Find a craft you are good at and personalize something small for the people who did a lot more for you (card making, cross stitches, poetry, you name it...) Most of these can be done in a laying down/reclining position.

Good luck with the babies!