Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Is the Easter Bunny coming to your house?

Like Christmas, my family has always celebrated both the religious and the secular side of Easter. Our celebrations usually look something like this...

Saturday


First thing in the morning, the kids scour the house for our hidden baskets of goodies from the Easter Bunny. We had to look for those baskets as long as I can remember...even in college. Not quite as fun for us then, but I'm sure Mom was entertained.

Our baskets generally contained candy, a small toy or two, a few plastic eggs with or without treats inside, and always the notorious hollow chocolate bunny.

In the afternoon, our extended family would gather for a barbeque and easter egg hunt, when all the younger children are set loose in a yard or field to search for all the scattered candy and eggs.

Egg coloring may come later on Saturday or some day earlier in the week, depending on time schedules.

Sunday

We certainly want to keep the true meaning of this holiday important. With my really young children, I like to keep it simple and help them think more of Christ throughout the day. Beyond dressing extra nice for church that day, I am continuing the tradition of my parents and giving my daughters each their own picture of Christ to take to church with them.


They are small cards that can be purchased at Deseret Book for only 25 or 50 cents. I will write a small note on the back and give the pictures to my girls shortly before we go to church on Easter morning. I still have several of the pictures I was given for Easter while growing up, and I hope that my kids will also be able to appreciate the ones they receive.

But...

That's about all I've got! I'd like some ideas on how to make the holiday more meaningful both for myself and my children.

How do you celebrate Easter with your family?

How do you teach your children about the Savior and what Easter really means?

How do you make the holiday meaningful to yourself?

I will be posting a new Easter activity I've found that focuses on the story of Christ in His last week. We'll switch the Friday Funnies and the FHE post so you can have an extra day to prepare the activity if you'd like to do it on Easter rather than the day after. Look forward to that!

No comments: