Monday, February 8, 2010

And It Begins

If you've read my small bio to the side, then you know I am a full time student besides being a wife and mother. I also do contract work a couple times a month with the local planning commission. Lately everything has run smoothly, for the most part. But now things are starting to ramp up and I had my first feelings of being overwhelmed and stressed last week.

Usually I tend to have everything under control and what I don't, my husband does. But the week before last, he was out of town on a business trip all week. So, I've been a little out of sorts. My house hasn't been as clean as I would like it and my days have been jam packed with a million things to do and not enough time to do it all in. Last Thursday it all hit, especially when Lucas dumped a full box of cereal all over the kitchen floor as we were trying to leave. I cried all the way to the glass place I was meeting my husband at (which he forgot about until I called him:). So, I was a bit overwhelmed and stressed and didn't know how I was going to get everything done especially where I was going to be gone from 3 in the afternoon until 9 that night. Luckily I was able to make it through the rest of my day and I think I have everything under control again for the most part.

I know I'm not the only one out there with a million things on my plate! At some point in everyone's lives, whether you have kids or not, you get overwhelmed and stressed out.

How do you avoid getting overwhelmed and stressed to begin with?
When it does happen, what do you do?
Can you avoid passing your stress off on your kids, and if you do how?
What is your best way of de-stressing and trying to relax?

I would love some tips as to how others handle having so much to do and kids! Please share any of your thoughts.

2 comments:

Alyssa Harper said...

I'm also a student with a husband, kid, and work-by-commission job that comes in ever so often. It IS overwhelming!

One tip that I've learned to follow is this: DO NOT MULTI-TASK! I know, easier said than done. We wives are queens of multi-tasking, but trying to do too many things at once makes me frazzled and stressed. Take one thing at a time. Make a "To Do" list that you can mark off every day. (Keeps me focused and aware that I actually AM getting things done.)

Oh, and when work comes in, sometimes I call around for a babysitter. It's not copping out, it's being realistic. I can't concentrate with a little wiggle-worm taking all the towels out of the linen closet. Most mom's are more than happy to baby-sit swap, so find something like that which works for you.

That's just what's worked for me. But everyone's different, of course.

Jared and Delia said...

Megan...stress must be an illness and it is going around! We have it. I am a stay at home mom with things to do but it is not as pressing (at least from the outside) as it is for you and I STILL feel stressed. I hate the way I act when I am stressed. I get more snappy. I constantly have situations where I walk away knowing I could have acted WAY better than I did and then I get stressed even more about that. When this happens it usually means that it is a phase and will pass and if it doesn't than there are some changes I need to make in my life. Am I making time for prayer, reflection, sincere playing with my kids,undivided time with my family and husband? Right now I can tell you the answer is no to most of those or only sometimes yes which is why I know I am stressed. I often take things on that I think I NEED to take on, but if I sit down and consider everything I could alter or remove a lot of burdens are lifted from my life. I hope you feel better Megan and I hope my ramblings helped. :)