Monday, June 20, 2011

When Things Don't Go As Planned

I seem to have spent the last six weeks feeling out of control.

Six weeks ago, I found out I was pregnant with twins.

Three weeks ago, I was told what possible complications I might face during the pregnancy.

Last week, I was told that the babies were showing signs of serious complication that is treated by doing surgery on the babies while still in utero.

Today, I was told that surgery will probably not be needed, but that I need to be prepared to possible deliver my babies at only 24 weeks along or run the risk of losing both babies.

I am not telling you this to get sympathy. I already have plenty of that coming my way.

I am writing this because I am pretty sure we have all faced times as a mother when things do not go the way we planned.

Sicknesses come, to parents or children, that don't have a straightforward remedy.

Children are diagnosed with special needs which come with a whole new set of adventures.

Pregnancies end up being much more complicated than you thought they could be.

And let's be honest, sometimes just having small children in the house is enough to make a mom feel overwhelmed.

What do you do when you find yourself on a path you never thought you walk down?

I have spent many hours over the course of the last weeks pondering the plan of salvation and my role as a mother in that plan.

I have felt the calm assurance that Heavenly Father is aware of our situation.

However, even though I know about the plan of salvation and have a testimony of the gospel, I still feel out of control.

What have you done when you find yourself feeling out of control that helps you find the peace and strength necessary to make it through?

~Lisa~

2 comments:

Heather said...

I read my patriarchal blessing to find answers. I also try to just get through each day and sometimes that in itself, is a victory! I've heard good things about gratitude journals helping you focus your thoughts in a positive direction, but I've never actually tried it.

Anonymous said...

Read the Friend and talk to my husband! He always calms me down!