Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday Funnies: Mispronunciations


I LOVE LOVE LOVE to listen to toddlers talk. It seems like from ages 1-5 are the golden years of mispronunciations. Here are a few zingers my kids have used in their time....

Daughter: "Mom, the kids are both drinking water and the 'dolts' are drinking milk."
Me: "Um, I think you mean adults sweetie. " :)

*My husband finds this hilarious that our daughter who is 4 1/2 calls us "dolts."

My favorite mispronunciation by my daughter when she was younger was "hanitizer" for hand sanitizer. She just sounded so sweet saying it.

Dad: "Do you want jam on your roll or butter?"
Son: "Jam it"

*This needs an additional explanation. My son has SUPER bad diction (he's very difficult to understand) and his "j" sound is actually the "d" sound. :) We laughed good and hard over this one.

Another one that I love from my son is "scripurs" for "scriptures." It sound incredibly cute coming out of his 2 1/2 year old mouth.

I do try to correct my children over time as they get older so that they can say things properly and improve in their language,
but a part of me is saddened by the loss of their baby words. I need to be better about writing down and remember these!

Share yours!! What are your favorite mispronunciations by your children?

~Tannie

4 comments:

Heather said...

Bampa and Bamma for Grandpa and Grandma.

Moat for milk.

Poh-boh for pillow.

Pwahno for piano.

Darge-ub tuck for garbage truck.

Sara said...

Mmkay, my baby is only 18 days old so I don't have any for her, but I have nieces who have said some pretty funny things!

*Ama-lama-lams for m&m's (but you also have to picture her tongue sticking out for each L sound, super funny)!

*Squir-lo for Squirrel

*"I'm not a Pligalet, I'm a Effalump" for Piglet and Heffalump

Hmmm... I'm noticing a pattern here. All three come from the same niece and it seems the letter L is a problem for her! :)

Anonymous said...

"Wimming Soup" for swimming suit! She is 2 1/2. SOOO cute!

Tannie Datwyler said...

These crack me up!! Thanks so much for sharing.