Monday, April 18, 2011

Living the Gospel in Latter-Days: Preparing for Sunday

You're probably singing "Saturday is a special day, it's the day we get ready for Sunday..." That's what I think about when I think about preparing for the Sabbath. But today I want to talk about something different. I want to talk about preparing to participate in Gospel Doctrine and Relief Society.



I think that it's important that we prepare ourselves to participate in class on Sundays. I've taught both Gospel Doctrine and Relief Society before and I always felt that students who had studied the lesson had a lot to add (not that you can't comment if you haven't read it). As the student I also feel that I get more out of a lesson if I'm prepared. Many times I'll learn something in the week from reading and then the teacher will bring up different points I hadn't thought of. This way I get more from the lesson than is possible if I just go and sit and listen.



I know we are all busy mothers! So, how do we have the time to pare ourselves for lessons? My husband and I read the lesson for Gospel Doctrine together - that is part of our companion scripture study and fits easily into our study routine. As for the RS lesson - I read it on my own during my scripture study (which usually happens to be while I eat my breakfast or hold my baby :) The lessons are pretty short and it doesn't take too long to fit it into my study time.

I know that reading lessons in advance has enriched my learning on Sundays. I encourage you to read the lessons, even if you have a calling that prevents you from going to Gospel Doctrine and/or Relief Society.

So, tell us. How do you prepare for lessons on Sunday? Take the poll on the sidebar!!

~Tannie

No comments: