Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Top Ten--Revisited!

As part of our holiday season, we want to repost some of the Village discussions from the very beginning of the blog. We have many new readers, and these posts are definitely worthy of seeing again! Please leave any new comments you'd like to share, and also feel free to visit the original post and see the comments there.

Originally posted March 1, 2009 by Delia

Some of the products that make my life easier...and some I cannot live without.

Here are my top ten parenting products in no particular order:

1. Tri fold diapers. I added a panel of colorful fabric to the middle and voila it became my most favorite burp cloth. I use it for wiping up messes, catching breast feeding leakage, cleaning up spit up and everything under the sun. They hold up well, stay soft and absorbent. I love them.
2. A baby wrap. I copied a friend's wrap that looks like this one and I love it! It is a must if you have more than one. It is how I get dinner made when the baby is fussy and wants to be held. It is also nice to use if I don't want to haul out the stroller.

3. Speaking of strollers. I got the Baby Trend Sit and Stand when I was pregnant with number 2 and I really like it. It is less bulky than a double stroller and my four year old loves that he can just ride along without having to be strapped in. He gets in by himself which is a plus for me too.



4. I am a clean freak, so hand sanitizers are a life saver for me. We use it all the time. It is especially nice to have my preschooler use it after going potty (#1) so I don't have to follow him to the bathroom every time to remind him to wash his hands and turn the faucet on for him because ours sticks. It cleans his hands better than if he used soap and water by himself too.

5. Mild cleaner. I love this spray. It is mild enough to use around children but gets the job done.
I use it to spray down toys every once in a while and wiping them afterward is optional if you don't mind letting it air dry.

6. Ikea toddler plates, cups, bowls, and utensils. I love these. They are so cute and fun to eat out of. My son likes picking what color he wants each thing to be. It makes meal time and snack time fun.
7. Vinegar. It is pungent but great for many things. I use white vinegar in laundry to help my towels regain absorbency, to help get urine smell out of things, and as a child safe cleaner for mirrors, windows, and in the kitchen.
8. I also love hydrogen peroxide as a cleaner. Careful - it will bleach clothes. It is safer than other household cleaners for use around children and when you are pregnant. I use it in laundry to brighten whites as well.
9. Equate version of Eucerin cream. My oldest has sensitive and dry skin. He suffered from exczema for the first 3 1/2 year of his life and still does from time to time. This did the trick. I just slather it on him from head to toe after bathtime and it keeps his dry skin at bay (didn't go away but didn't get cracked or worse). It kept us from having to treat him with steroid creams all the time.
10. My favorite diaper bag - a nice big fake leather purse. They don't break like diaper bags do...Well not as easily. A lot of them have plenty of pockets to hold everything and they look nicer than the typical diaper bag.

These were a few of my favorites. Now...
What are your favorites?

No comments: