Monday, October 18, 2010

Request from Our Readers Week 28

This week we are talking about cribs and mattresses. Here's what our reader said:

I need to buy a crib & mattress for my baby that's coming soon. Seems simple enough, right? Well, I once heard something to do about mattresses and risk of SIDS, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any type of mattress that may pose a problem or one that is especially good (but reasonably priced). Or, can I just dismiss the concern altogether and buy the least expensive mattress out there? Just wondering what you other moms have heard/may know. Also, does anyone have a crib that you just love and would recommend? The one I used with my first had a way you could adjust the height of the mattress, so when he was newborn and there was no risk of him getting out, I could leave it high so I didn't have to bend so far over the railing to lay him down. Then we just lowered it as he got older. I really liked that feature, but have not really noticed it on newer models.

So help her out . . .

What have you heard about SIDS and crib mattresses?
What crib do you use and what do you like about it/dislike about it?

Thanks for the reader request. If you have a topic or question you want discussed, email us at thevillageformoms@gmail.com!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

The risk with mattresses and SIDS has to do with the firmness. The firmer the mattress the less risk of SIDS. I bought my mattress for $40ish dollars from walmart.com (the particular mattress I bought isn't sold in stores so I had to use their site to store). It's a great, firm mattress and very decently priced!

As for cribs walmart.com is another great site. I know, I know...it's Walmart but I was very impressed with their cribs. Decently priced and there are tons of reviews on each one of them. The crib I bought has the option to lower the mattress and also can convert to a toddler bed and also to a twin. I love it.

Rebecca said...

I also wanted to add that I think there are other factors in mattresses you can look into that reduce SIDS but from my research firmness seemed to be the easiest way to reduce it.

Tannie Datwyler said...

I'm so glad Becca answered this question. She's right on with the firmer mattress thing. Another thing to be sure of is that your bedsheets fit firmly - that also reduces the risk of SIDS.