Since my little girl is just 16 months old, I don't plan on moving her to a toddler bed quite yet but I wanted some feedback from other moms who have experienced this so that when we do decide to make the switch I have a plan :) So, we are hoping to move into a house this summer (likely not for about 6 months) and I have been thinking about whether it would be easier to move my girly girl to a bed before or after the big move. There will be a change in her environment either way, but I am still debating.
Also my SIL moved her oldest son to a toddler bed just before her second little boy was born but he had a really hard time with it and she said she wished she would have waited a few months and kept him in his crib a little longer since the new baby slept in their room in a bassinet for the first few months anyway. On the flip side, I have also heard moms say that they prefer to move their oldest to a toddler bed before a new baby comes so that they don't feel like their new sibling is taking their crib from them.
I've also been wondering about a couple other things in regards to this topic, so...
Please share!!! ...
- Do you think it would be better to transition to a new "big girl" bed before or after moving to a new house?
- What has worked for you in regards to moving your oldest out of the crib so that your second can use it? Before or after the new baby comes? (Also, if you gave me time frames that would be great-how long before or after did you make the switch?)
- What have you done to help your toddler not fall out of the bed? Have you used the rails? Let them fall and put a pillow on the ground?
- What about if they get out and come out of the room? What did you do to encourage them to stay in their bed and go to sleep?
- Did you get a toddler bed or a twin bed that they can use pretty much until they move out?
- What other things did you do when when moving your child to a toddler bed that made the transition easier?